Thursday, March 24, 2011

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

This phenomenal thriller takes the reader to the world of coding, cryptology, and crime. Susan Fletcher, a cryptographer for the National Security Agency (NSA) must crack and unbreakable, thought-to-be perpetually changing code that threatens not only national security, but her boyfriend's life. While she's fighting off impending doom in the states, her boyfriend David Becker is scouring Spain for the passkey to the code that only the code-writer, Ensei Tankado, and his elusive accomplice have. The only problem is, Tankado was murdered hours earlier. With an assassin on his trail, and a murderer on the loose back at NSA headquarters, Susan and David are in a fight to save their lives and their country. Filled with a plethora of wild twists and turns, Dan Brown's first novel is one the reader will never forget.

Once you start Digital Fortress (published 1998 by St. Martin's Press), it's virtually impossible to stop reading it. The first time I read this book, I stayed up until 3 o'clock in the morning finishing it, much to my parents' chagrin. I physically could not put this book down. When I finally finished, my fingers were stained black from the ink because of where I held the book. I don't think my hand has ever been as stiff from being in the same position for so long since.

Digital Fortress is appropriate for most teen readers, though I would recommend it to mainly teens ages sixteen and older. There is some suggestive content as well as moderate cursing. Digital Fortress also contains some thematic elements (assassinations, violence, suggested sex, suggested drug use) that may not be suitable for all teen readers.

Overall, Digital Fortress is a truly noteworthy book. It is fast-paced, thrilling, and has a wonderful style that is rare even among the best of authors.

Happy readings!


On the Shelf: Two-Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt

4 comments:

  1. Great book! If you liked The Da Vinci Code, you will definitely like this one. I also couldn't put it down. Definitely one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A book i'm reading now reminds me of this, but mixed with some Jurassic Park-like traits. It's called "The Altar of Eden" by James Rollins. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely will! Thank you for your suggestion! And Jurassic Park will be "On the Shelf" within the next few weeks, so keep an eye out for it... Happy readings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The novel is ingenious in a way not many other books are. In most thrillers you would expect gunfights and bombs, although the fights in this book are not run that way. They are clever battles planned through precision that will make you want to read faster so that you know what will happen. From cathedrals and hospitals in Spain to buildings in Tokyo to top-dollar facilities in the US, the book will take you on an unforgettable ride. It is a web between several stories that are happening at the same time, making your reading experience even more intense. I have read the book once and I'm going for the second time already. Nevertheless, I am still anxious to be submerged into the mystical world Dan Brown has created every time I grab the book.

    ReplyDelete